WHERE'S FLAT JESUS?
Summer is a wonderful time for all ages to explore what it means that God is always with us. A reminder God comes to us in the most ordinary of ways. Everywhere we are and everywhere we go. There is nowhere Christ isn't - and nowhere we can't take Jesus. Similar to Jeff Brown's children's character, "Flat Stanley," Flat Jesus (PDF) has the ability to be and go anywhere: teaching lessons of God's presence and Lutheran theology. Mostly though, Flat Jesus is a fun way to keep connected as a community of faith during the summer, when many people vacation on the weekends. Join the Adventures of Flat Jesus at ECLC, beginning Youth Sunday, June 7.
Download your own copy of Flat Jesus to print at home (PDF)
it's as easy as 1-2-3
Take a picture of you with Flat Jesus and post it to Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #eclcflatjesus. Include the location where you took the picture, and a caption, so we can share your picture on the slideshow here, on our ECLC Kids Youth & Family Facebook page, and on ECLC's Where's Flat Jesus? wall. You're also welcome to bring pictures to church and post them yourselves, or email me and I'll post them for you. Sundays, June 7 & 14 we'll laminate your Flat Jesus on the spot in the Fellowship Hall between worship services!
In addition to the Where's Flat Jesus? wall, we're curating the following activity and location ideas. Don't feel limited by this list! Last summer we had Flat Jesus pictures as close to home as the kitchen table, and as far away as Switzerland.
- 50 Ways to Explore the Twin Cities With Kids this Summer
- Use public transit such as Light-Rail or Busline
- Go Indoor Camping and let your kids' imaginations run wild
- Find and visit a Minnesota Farmers Market near you
- Make Campfire Banana Boat S'mores
- Use your Act of Kindness Fortune Teller to Do Good Together, or check out the monthly list of Family Volunteer Ideas & Fun Kindness Activities
- Build Roads for Toy Cars by using colored tape on carpet
- Participate in one of the many programs and services offered through a Hennepin County Library
- Extract DNA from Strawberries as a fun experiment
- Use foil to make a Big River in the backyard
- Play Balloon Ping Pong or make Balloon Rockets indoors on a rainy day
- Worship at Edina Community Lutheran Church at 8:15 am and 10:15 am (Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend), with Story Song & Snack from 9:45 - 10:10 am
- Explore the wonderfulness at Minnehaha Falls Regional Park
- Browse the Midtown Global Market
- Venture into the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden
- Encounter animals and plants of all kinds at the Como Park Zoo & Conservatory
- Walk on the Stone Arch Bridge and enjoy the view of St. Anthony Falls
- Meet other parents and enjoy a great cup of coffee or tea while your kids play in the large playroom at Sovereign Grounds
- Tuesdays FREE admission to the Minnesota History Center 5 - 8 pm
- Tuesdays Preschool Playdate at the Science Museum, and Toddler Tuesdays at the Mall of America 10 am - 12 pm
- Wednesdays Semilla Project Mosaic & Mural Arts at St. Paul's Lutheran in South Minneapolis 6:30 - 8 pm
- Wee Wednesdays at Midtown Global Market 10:30 am - 1 pm